- Why was the Dow STEM Scholars Program developed?
The Dow STEM Scholars Program is a 4 year old program that was initially funded by The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation to increase the number of students who graduate with degrees in STEM disciplines. The program provides students who place into MTH 103A (Intermediate College Algebra & Trigonometry) the academic support and resources needed to increase their readiness to succeed in a STEM major. Some Dow Facts.
- How much does it cost to participate in the Dow STEM Scholars Program? Participation in the Dow STEM Scholars Program is FREE.
- How much does it cost to attend the Dow STEM Scholars Summer Orientation? Participation in the Dow STEM Scholars Program Summer Orientation is FREE. There is no cost. All student housing, food, supplies and activities are provided by the program.
- Do I need to take the MSU Math Placement exam?
Yes, all entering freshmen and some transfer students (depending on the math credit they are transferring to MSU) are required to take the Mathematics Placement Service Exam (MPS Exam) before attending their Academic Orientation Program (AOP) unless you meet the following exceptions.
- Should I be embarrassed to have placed in Math 103A?
No, one-third of all incoming MSU freshman students place into Math 103A. For students planning on pursuing a STEM major this is a mandatory course that must be mastered in order to progress into the required STEM prerequisites courses, MTH 103 and Chemistry 141. Also, by placing into Math 103A you are now eligible to participate in the Dow STEM Success Scholars Program.
- I scored a 10 or 11 on the MSU Math Placement Examine and placed into Math 103. Can I still join the Dow STEM Scholars Program?
Yes, students that score a 10 or 11 on the Math placement exam are eligible to participate in the program to help strengthen their Math Skills.
- How can the program help me in earning a STEM degree?
The program is specifically designed to assist students succeed in pursuing a STEM degree by providing a variety of Services & Activities that boost academic success.
- How can I Sign Up for the Dow STEM Scholars Program?
Register here today, space is limited to the first 75 students who apply.
- Why are all Dow Scholars required to attend one of the Dow Summer Orientations and the same MSU AOP Session?
Scholars are required to attend one of the Dow Summer Orientations held (Session 1) June 11th-13th or (Session 2) June 18th-20th to meet Dow staff members, the Summer Math Instructor, and their fellow Dow Scholars, as well as receive valuable program information, course packets, and Math login training.
Students unable to attend the Dow Summer Orientation will not be able to participate in the Dow Scholars Program.
After the conclusion of the Dow Orientation, Scholars will have the option to attend the MSU AOP either June 13th-14th or June 20th-21st. Dow has tried to make it convient for Scholars traveling from across the state to complete both orientation programs during the same week and to have access to the Dow Advisor at AOP.
- My current AOP date is not scheduled for the (preferred) Dow STEM Sessions. Do I need to contact MSU to change my current AOP date? No, the Dow STEM Scholars program will change your AOP date and send you a confirmation email showing the change. If you are unable to attend either Dow AOP, please contact us immediately.
- Can I participate in other MSU sponsored programs or activities such as Lyman Briggs, Drew Scholars, OSS-TRiO, or MAGIC, while participating in Dow Scholars?
Yes, Dow STEM Scholars are encourage to participate and utilize every MSU resource available to achieve their educational goals. Each of the programs has agreed to work collaboratively with Dow Scholars and allow students to participate in multiple programs. The Dow Scholars staff will assist students in determining their level of program participation, based on an individual basis.
- Can I still become a successful STEM Major even though I placed into Math 103A?
Yes, the Dow STEM Success Scholars Program is intended to strengthen existing skills by providing scholars a variety services and opportunities that help students reach their academic goals. Students should not look at Math 103A as a barrier, but as an opportunity to enhance their math knowledge base which is essential for success in future STEM Math & Science courses.
- How many days a week does the online math lecture take place and do I need to travel to MSU campus to participate.
The Dow Math Course is as an online class that has live lectures taught on Tuesdays and Thursdays (mornings or late afternoons) every week for 8-weeks. There is no travel to MSU's Campus outside of the required Dow Summer Orientation. Students may participate in either the morning or afternoon lectures, based on which ever lecture fits their summer schedules. Students unable to participate in live lectures may access lecture recordings (this is not recommended).
- What happens if I don’t like the program?
Scholars are able to opt-out of the program at any time. Scholars who intend to opt-out of the program must notify the Dow STEM Scholars office and complete the appropriate paperwork.
- What if my friend wants to join the program after the start of the Summer Dow Math Course?
Unfortunately, the only students eligible to receive Dow STEM Scholar services are those students that have completed the entire Dow Summer Math course and exam.
- What other types of services does Dow STEM Scholars provide to students during their sophomore, junior, and senior years at MSU.
DSS will continue to support Dow Scholars throughout their educational experience at MSU. Dow Scholars will always have access to Dow-only sections of specific courses, academic advising services, Dow-only activities and trips, research grant and peer mentoring opportunities, and a variety of other services offered specifically to Dow Scholars.
- Why am I pre-enrolled for (Fall) Dow STEM Courses during Summer AOP?
Dow Scholars are pre-register for (Dow – only) sections of Math 103, CEM 121, and UGS 101 (Dow Freshman Seminar) for Fall. Students who are affiliated with other MSU programs such as Lyman Briggs, or Drew Scholars while be given the option to participate in Dow sections of courses. Scholars will be referred to their major advisor(s) for proper course recommendations and enrollment.
- What mandatory activities & services are Dow Scholars required to participate in during the academic year?
Dow STEM Scholars are required to participate in a limited number of activities while participating in the program (1-3 things/per term). These activities include Dow Advising, Study Table, Peer Mentoring Meetings, and Semester Kick-off Event/Orientation. Scholars will receive a program schedule prior to the start of the semester.
- How much are the books and supplies for the Summer Math Course?
The book and supplies for the summer course are free. Students receive a free Math book, Graphing calculator, and the access code for the Math course website at the Dow Orientation.
- Why am I assigned a Mentor to monitor me?
Every Dow Scholars is assigned a Peer Mentor to help them transition into MSU and connect to the Dow STEM Scholars Program. Peer Mentors are responsible for meeting with scholars and providing social and academic support throughout the semester.